Functions assigned to Local Government & Rural Development Department (LG&RDD) Gilgit-Baltistan as per Gilgit-Baltistan Rules of Business, 2009 are:
- Matters relating to:-
- Local Councils.
- Establishment and budget of local councils except grant-in-aid for hospitals and dispensaries.
- Directorate of Local Government and Rural Development and their subordinate offices.
- Local taxation and local rates.
- Registration of births, deaths, and marriages by local councils.
- Development funds and development schemes pertaining to local
- Grant in aid for local councils.
- All matters relating to local council services.
- Coordination of Census work.
- Rural Development Councils and Rural Development Programme.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department.
- Service matter except those entrusted to the service, General Administration, and Information Department.